You know how it is when you make your New Year plans, stick to them for a couple of months and then they’re just water down the drain? Well guess what, it’s the beginning of February and I already failed (:shocked face:). In January I told myself I’m not going to buy so many new books this year. Instead I will focus to read my own books. In 2016, from June to December I bought 43 books and only read about 8 of them. This is without considering all the other unread books I own. So I said I will only buy a maximum of two books per month.
This is where I failed. Should I blame myself or the sales? I can’t pick one so I’ll split the share of the blame equally. I won’t say I was weak, because buying three books for the price of one is not weakness, it’s a great opportunity and only a fool ignores it. And I am no fool.
Let’s say a big big hurray to all who took advantage of similar opportunities in the month of January. I salute you!
Here are the books I’ve bought:
- Zadie Smith, ‘White Teeth’ (I heard so much praise for Zadie Smith’s work that I had to buy one of her books)
- Don DeLillo, ‘Americana’
- Jane Austen, ‘Pride and Prejudice’ (despite this being one of my favorite books, I did not own a copy of it, so it had to be rectified as soon as I saw it)
- Truman Capote, ‘In Cold Blood’
- Nelson Mandela, ‘Long Walk to Freedom’
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali, ‘Infidel’
- Mikhail Bulgakov, ‘The Master and Margarita’ (2017 is the 100 year anniversary of the Russian revolution. Can’t wait to purchase some newly released Russian classics from Vintage. But until then I have this novel to mark the anniversary)
- Angela Carter, ‘Nights at the Circus’
- Richard Yates, ‘Revolutionary Road’
9 books in total in this haul and as I already mentioned, generally I would only buy 3 books for the same amount of money, even less. Books are not cheap here, by the way (I live in Denmark).
So all in all these 9 books I can go away with buying without any guilt. The problem is I did not stop here. In December I started the Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Mass, read the first two books (‘Throne of Glass’ and ‘Crown of Midnight’) and got so hooked that I needed to buy the next three. For two of these I had a gift card so technically I only paid for one. Now I own all 5 and can binge read the rest and then wait in agony until the last book’s release in 2018 (?) (:in the depths of despair:). So I also purchased:
- ‘Heir of Fire’
- ‘Queen of Shadows’ and
- ‘Empire of Storms’
So my conclusion is: I only bought 4 books this January, meaning that I’ve spent only two months’ worth of book buying allowance (:smug face:).Follow me: